Perhaps it’s the teacher in me, but I just adore back-to-school time. Kids are excited about their new teachers and seeing old friends, and parents are excited about the kids being back in a routine. This is the time of year that I miss teaching the most.
Even though Julia is still many years away from Kindergarten, I thought it would be fun to come up with some delicious and healthy after school snacks. I remember cracking open the fridge or pantry as soon as I got off the bus as a kid. You need some brain fuel after learning all day!
No Bake Butterscotch Bars
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts, optional
- 1 cup butterscotch chips, divided
- 1 cup peanut butter chips, divided
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together cereal, oats, peanuts, 1/2 cup butterscotch chips, and 1/2 cup peanut butter chips. Set aside
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine remaining chips and corn syrup. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until chips are melted and smooth.
- Working quickly, pour melted chips over cereal mixture and stir to coat (you may need to use your hands). Press mixture into prepared pan.
- Chill for 30 minutes then cut into bars. Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.
Easy Veggie Dip
- 3 tbsp. whipped chive cream cheese
- 6 oz plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 tbps. Ranch seasoning
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir. Chill until ready to serve.
Creamy Strawberry Smoothies
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or any milk you have on hand)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 6 oz strawberry yogurt
- 3 tbsp. strawberry preserves
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Divide among glasses and serve cold.
These snacks aren’t just for kids!
The Duke and I thoroughly enjoyed the butterscotch bars and Julia couldn’t get enough of the smoothie.
What are your go-to snacks for those hungry kids fresh off the school bus?