December 7, 2012

Inside Julia’s Stocking

Last year was Julia’s first Christmas. I wrote about our decision to give her three gifts since three gifts were given to the Christ child when He was born. I don’t want Christmas to ever turn into “what else?” for my kids. I want the spirit and meaning of the season to prevail.

This year, she’s getting an upholstered chair, an outfit, and three board books from the Duke and me. It’s technically 5 gifts, but they fit quite nicely into three categories. And I spent just under $100 on everything!

One of my favorite parts of Christmas growing up was my stocking. Santa went all out filling each family member’s stocking with special prizes and I’m excited to continue the tradition with my own family.

Here’s a peek inside Julia’s stocking:

She’s getting a few bows from my favorite kids boutique in Mobile. A little girl can never have too many bows!

Chunky crayons for tiny fingers :)

Julia loves “apple” so her stocking wouldn’t be complete without a few Go Go Squeeze pouches.

She needs socks, so why not throw them in the stocking too?

And who doesn’t want Wet Ones in their stocking?

Since Julia still doesn’t quite know what is going on with Christmas, I figured I’d fill her stocking with things she actually needs and uses on a regular basis, plus some fun items.

So what’s going in your kids’ stockings? I love getting ideas for stocking stuffers. :)

The Duchess

7 Comments

1. Angela

December 7, 2012 at 6:59 am — Reply

I love this idea and glad to hear someone keeps things simple instead of “what else” the kids need (or don’t need for that matter).
    I have never wanted to be that parent who fills an entire room with gifts, when there are so many other reasons to celebrate the season. Both boys got a handful of gifts, but I’m pretty sure that I’ve kept it under $100-$150 each.

2. Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family

December 7, 2012 at 7:53 am — Reply

Emmalyne’s stocking is almost identical! I also added some Mickey Mouse ABC flash cards from the dollar store :)

3. Kristin

December 7, 2012 at 9:27 am — Reply

Colton’s all about stickers so I picked a bunch up from the dollar store. Like you, I’m doing some of his favorite snacks – applesauce packets, Thomas fruit snacks, etc. I like the flash cards idea that Madeline posted.

4. Amanda

December 7, 2012 at 11:25 am — Reply

The stocking was always my favorite part of Christmas morning too! I have an son almost the same age as Julia, so I enjoyed this post. I haven’t gotten many things for him yet, but this is my favorite so far:

Probably too boy-ish for Julia but I love it anyway :-)

5. Stacie

December 7, 2012 at 11:39 am — Reply

We follow the same principle: I want, I need, I’ll wear and I’ll read. So four gifts for each child. However our 7 year old “needs” an iPod touch. I guess it’s time to have a conversation about “needs” and “wants”

6. andie

December 7, 2012 at 11:56 am — Reply

we are only doing three gifts as well- Andrew is getting some blocks, puzzles, and then his big santa gift. the blocks & puzzles are from us and then his one big gift and stocking goodies are from santa.

I haven’t figured out everything that is going in Andrew’s stocking, but I definitely was planning on putting some gogosqueez in there for him as he loves it too. I did get him a couple of bath books (he loves those) from the dollar store. I am thinking we may get him a little truck or something too. :)

7. Laura

December 7, 2012 at 2:28 pm — Reply

Go Go Squeeze pouches are gracing my son’s stocking as well, this year. :) Good ideas.