December 5, 2012

Season of Change

Welp, I can’t ignore it any longer. We’re packing up our home and moving in just three short weeks. We’ll likely make the big switch the day after Christmas.

Yes, it’s the holidays, yes things are busy under normal circumstances, so it’s the perfect time to make a major life change, right?

Oh, as if that wasn’t fun enough, we’re going to put this brand new, perfect-in-every-way home that the Duke is building on the market not long after we move in.

Do we sound crazy? Let me give you a little background.

The Duke is a contractor and has spent the last few years building custom and spec homes. The house we’re moving into is basically a spec home, we’ll just be moving into it until it sells. It doesn’t make sense to us to pay our current rent and the new mortgage while we wait on it to sell, so we feel this is the best plan. The Duke would like to do this little trick (build it, move into it, sell it) a few more times to really create a nice little nest egg for ourselves. We’ll see how many more times I can stand it.

Needless to say, I’m a little overwhelmed. Packing an entire house (by myself) with a toddler running around is harder than I anticipated. I can only pack about 5 boxes a day before this big ole pregnant body of mine tells me to slow down.

I’m stressed about trying to get Julia’s room and the new nursery set up once we move, only to potentially move again quickly. Who knows how long it will take the new house to sell?

Oh, and I’m stressed about HAVING A BABY in the middle of it all. I’m already stressing about cleaning up the house for showings with a 20-month-old and a newborn.

I’m stressed about the house actually selling in a reasonable amount of time. Spring is a great time to try to sell a house, so we’re praying that the perfect buyers will come our way with a great offer.

I’m also sad that this house can’t be ours forever. It’s absolutely perfect (pictures to come) and the Duke and I have had a lot of fun choosing paint colors, flooring, light fixtures, etc. It’s hard not to get attached.

It also stresses me  to think that a year from now, we have no idea where we’ll be living.

I’ve been doing a lot of stressing, thinking, and praying lately.

Instead of stressing about these things, I’m trying my best to hand these worries over to God. Only He knows the timing of it all. Only He knows who the perfect buyers are and when they’ll come to us. Only He knows where we should go after this house sells.

And you know what else? He is the one who has created these wonderful opportunities for the Duke and blessed him with a career that he enjoys.

I have to remember that there are far worse problems in this world. These shouldn’t even qualify as problems, merely detours in the crazy ride of life. Sure there will be a season of stressful and challenging times for our family, but what a blessing to have these stresses!

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Philippians 4:6

The Duchess

10 Comments

1. NoPermanentAddy

December 5, 2012 at 7:51 am — Reply

What a great opportunity! We’ve moved 6 times in the last 5.5 years (3 states, 2 countries), so I’m happy to talk anytime! Good luck!

2. Page

December 5, 2012 at 8:34 am — Reply

If ANYONE can do it, YOU CAN! :)

3. annie_loo

December 5, 2012 at 9:52 am — Reply

That is one of my favorite bible verses! It’s so true! But GIRL, I can totally understand your stress…and it’s completely normal! You are doing a lot! But, just try to live for today. Enjoy this new house for as long as you can and the next house, the next, and the next will build a nice little cushion for that dream house! You can do it girl!!!!!

4. Laura

December 5, 2012 at 10:24 am — Reply

Moving when our baby was 6 weeks old wasn’t ideal, but we made it. Sure, she’s 6 months old now and we’re only half unpacked, but that’s why God gave us a garage! :) Good luck!

5. Kimberly

December 5, 2012 at 10:34 am — Reply

Molly, you have your head in the right place and as long as you keep repeating scripture when the anxiety creeps in I know you will receive His peace which surpasses all understanding. Hang in there!

6. Jenna

December 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm — Reply

Molly, you just completely made my day! Six weeks after Trey and I got married, we had to move out of our home, as there was water damage and mold. We are still not back in our home (hopefully one more week!), and I’ve been so stressed and sad about not even being able to decorate for our first Christmas together as a married couple. You are right though – there are far worse problems in the world and there will be many more “first” holidays to celebrate this year. Thanks for sharing – certainly brought me back down to reality!

7. Lib

December 5, 2012 at 3:27 pm — Reply

Thanks, I needed that!

8. Krista

December 5, 2012 at 3:28 pm — Reply

You have such a beautiful attitude about life – it’s one of the main reasons why I enjoy your blog so much! Absolutely maintain your faith- your family will take the exact journey you are meant to take. Just enjoy the ride, remember to stop and smell the roses, be grateful for life’s little blessings, breathe deeply when you’re feeling overwhelmed, and remember that your “home” is wherever your family is. And on another note- I might ask you for this same advice in a few years when my husband and I start doing this same thing! ;)

9. andie

December 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm — Reply

many many hugs Molly. I know you guys will get through just fine! :)

10. kjpugs

December 8, 2012 at 9:50 pm — Reply

I totally know how you feel. Well, not 100% but a lot! We moved into my in-law’s just to be there Sept-May, and moved into an already decorated place. We moved here knowing we’d be in this house a year. We’re planning to have kids, and we’re NOT planning to buy another house, so it kills me thinking about all the moving mixed in with other life stuff… no settling into a house. We haven’t put a single thing on the wall…. it’s just not worth it to me when I know we’ll be out in April! WOMP. Hang in there lady, I hope the timing works out well!